Thursday, April 1, 2010

remembered

It was cold outside, and I was walking to my car with an old friend. We were laughing and chatting, and being very silly, and couldn't stop laughing. We listened to Owl City and danced like crazy in the parking lot. Our government/citizenship teacher laughed at our awesome stupidity. And then we joked about feet. We were grateful for our ability to be completely ourselves in each other's company.

It was a sunny spring day at Newport Beach in California. I leapt in the waves with my best friends and got saltwater in my mouth. We made friends with a seal and got sand between our toes. It was bliss.


The night was warm and smelled like grass. I was driving past my dear friend's house and I stopped by. We sat in the yard and talked for hours. I accidentally locked my keys in my car and didn't get home until 1:30 AM.

I was laying in the middle of an empty street with thirteen other teenagers. The streetlamp cast a rosy glow over the night, but wasn't bright enough to mask the glory of the stars. We laid there and talked about constellations and planets. Not a single car came.

I was standing outside in the rain a summer ago. I remember the sudden shifts of wind that felt as though they might lift me off the ground. Cars drove past me and I stared at them, clutching an umbrella, completely alone. I walked down the sodden sidewalk and wished it would rain forever.

1 comment:

Jonathan Baker said...

This is beautiful. So wonderful!