Sunday, March 14, 2010

so I wrote about the wonderful town

Once upon a street in New York City, a group of 39 Utahn youth bought purses, ate gyros, sang sweetly, skipped sidewalks, and rode subways. 

Highlights include, but are not limited to:
  • singing in Carnegie Hall. Truly one of the best experiences of my entire life. The acoustics were unlike any I've ever heard, and our last song's cut-off was followed by a feeling of sheer, echoey bliss, then thunderous applause that didn't end until long after we dissapeared backstage.
  • performing for the elderly in Brooklyn. So moving and rewarding. The difference between the assisted living center and Carnegie Hall didn't seem so huge in retrospect.
  • sleeping on the subway.
  • reading on the subway. Although I didn't see a butterfly.
  • windy boat rides, american history, ellis island, lady liberty
  • going to starbucks and ordering a coffee-free frappucino.
  • throwing caution to the winds and running pell-mell across the street.
  • the twinkling lights of Broadway and Times Square. Even the sidewalks sparkled.
  • a misunderstood phantom, a wicked green witch, and a practically perfect nanny-Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, and Mary Poppins. Oh, the magic. The glory.
  • spending far too much money on food. Paying for tap water.
  • not spending enough money on random trinkets, but feeling very proud of my Mary Poppins umbrella.
  • bartering for jewelry in chinatown.
  • a rice-paper parasol
  • shopping day with the gals
  • H&M, H&M, H&M, H&M
  • walking into the empire state building completely by accident
  • my good luck charm
  • my bass, my tenor, my alto
  • being banished to the boonies of the hotel
  • loving the boonies of the hotel
  • Mad46!
  • bagel and shmear, bagel and shmear
  • making friends with the shuttle guy
  • barnes & noble...supersized.
  • new journals and a novel
  • collapsing in the hotel room, swearing up and down that we would never eat that much again, and staying up all night talking. Every day.
  • hearing more swearwords than ever before-also more languages. Also, probably a combination of the two.
  • the angel Moroni in the middle of Manhattan, going to church, seeing the temple.
  • butt-neked singing, Hershey's chocolate bar, fig + leaves, jinny = stone cold fox.
  • the really cool pretzel guy
  • zero blisters
  • almost involuntarily taking pictures of everything - hopelessly sticking out as Mormon tourists.
  • young + love = cute, dramatic, fun to watch, silly, ridiculous, filled with jealousy.
  • finding out that I don't really belong to any clique at all.
  • finding myself walking down Times Square in a lonely box of space, but secretly enjoying myself.
  • the best roommates in the universe
  • MASH and true love on the way home
  • (the chances are 95% in my favor)
  • serious withdrawals
  • wanting to walk everywhere I go.
I want to go back,
but I really have missed the fresh air and mountains.

2 comments:

melody said...

Love love love. (:FUN!and jealous!! (:(:

Steven and Wendy OBryant said...

ahh it just sounds so exciting!!! Can't wait to see you inperson and hear the stories and talk about incredible broadway shows like wicked and mary poppins! SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS!!!

PS - my word verification is "fonsung" - kind of weird but seems fitting... not sure why. hmmm.